St Patrick landed at Strangford Lough in the year 432AD, and preached in the
counties Down and Antrim before heading south. In 433AD, he landed at the
Boyne estuary and went straight to Tara to begin converting there. After
travelling through Leinster, Connaught and Ulster he passed through Louth
and Meath a second time on his way to Munster in 443AD. He also passed
close to Drogheda, en route to Ulster, eleven years later, in 454AD.
He intended to establish his own church in the western part of Louth so he
went back there shortly afterwards to put his project into effect. Providence,
however, intervened, and, warned by an angel, Patrick built his Primatial See
at Armagh instead.
‘The Tripartite Life of Saint Patrick’ (written around the 6th century) says that
Patrick visited Drogheda early in his career and possibly built a monastery there.
The only evidence pointing to this being true is that the mediaeval Augustinian
Abbey at West Gate (The Old Abbey) was built on the ground where, formerly,
a Patrician Monastery had stood.
Placenames associated with Saint Patrick in the locality are:
Patrickswell Lane: This is the lane from Narrow West Street alongside the Abbey
Shopping Centre. In September 1957, the well was rediscovered by workmen
doing excavations in Robinson’s salesroom. The proprietor, Jimmy Robinson,
had the well filled in to preserve it and it was overlaid with a marble slab.
St Patrick's Well's can be found at Mosney near the train station and another
at Laytown beside the old schoolhouse overlooking the River Nanny.
Legend has it that the townsfolk of Drogheda went out to meet Patrick on the
Collon Road in 433AD. The stone at Cloghpatrick bears the imprint of his knees
and can be seen outside a house at the end of Barrack Lane today.
Saint Patrick's Steps: These lead from the Mollies down to the Dale.
St. Patrick's Well is near the bottom of the steps and is now covered over.
St. Patrick's National School: This was in Scarlet Street where the old fire station
was based. St. Patrick's present national school is in Bothar Brugha.
Saint Patrick's Cottages: A terrace of seven two-storey houses in Clinton's Lane,
built by the Cairnes Trust Fund in 1900.
Collier the Robber
For other points of interest in the area, visit our links page.